“Freethought Lebanon” is an initiative that aims to empower freethinkers in Lebanon in order to promote humanism, encourage critical thinking, and disseminate secular values as a solution for intolerance and sectarian violence in Lebanon. Our vision is “Expanded Horizons with Minds Liberated from the Tyranny of Custom”.
The founders of this initiative have been highly involved in the Lebanese activism scene for more than 10 years, particularly in the struggles related to civil marriage, electoral reform, LGBT rights, abolishing the death penalty, secularism and nonviolence. Our initiative is entirely volunteer-based and we are active both as an online platform and as a youth entity that organizes events, conferences, gatherings, film screenings, etc. on a regular basis. Through our work we seek to promote: freethought principles, secularism, rationalism, critical thinking, science, free speech, tolerance, nonviolence, and human rights. We also support all campaigns that are working for human rights. Finally, we seek to empower freethinkers in Lebanon through organizing social events, building their capacities, and offering protection services when needed.
- We are skeptical towards claims to knowledge that are not supported by the scientific method, reason, or critical thinking, and are dedicated to use the principle of sufficient reason and the scientific method to objectively understand the universe and to the solving of human problems.
- We believe in non-violence as the only means for resolving differences and affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to ideologies of violence, and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service of others.
- We believe in the establishment of secular government and laws that are sovereign from any religious or theological influences.
- We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society, and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.
- We will attempt to overcome insular ideologies based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, or ethnicity, and strive towards the common good of humankind.
- We believe in appreciating the gift of existence and of being sentient beings; we will strive towards improving our creative talents to their fullest.
- We believe that we, as citizens of this universe, are part of the ecosystem. We aspire to protect and preserve the ecosystem for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.